Wednesday, November 2, 2011

From 16-18

From 16-18

I spent much of my life as an itinerant worker

staying a couple of days here

a few weeks there

in order to pad my pocket and fill my belly…

I worked in a milk bar in Freemantle

long enough to rent a bedsit

and get a feel for the city…

it was a good place for a country girl

to experience city life

back then it wasn't so hectic

and maintained a lot of parklands

where I could replenish my spirit…

I did a day's work cleaning the pub in Cooper Pedy

desolate opal town that it was/is

just to get a feed and some supplies to take on the road…

back in those day's water was still free…

and smiles freely given…

in Alice Springs I started my nurses training

but that didn't last long

I was unused to being inside all day

uncomfortable in stockings and closed in shoes

was always getting reprimanded

for spending too much time with patients

and for trying to augment my diet

with uneaten food from patients trays….

so I hit the road again

wandering without destination from one corner

of Australia to the other…

life seemed so uncomplicated back then

only responsible for feeding myself

and avoiding trouble…

I camped on a cliff overlooking
the Great Australian Bight

one star lit night

just me and the ocean and prehistoric vibrations…

the chances that any other white girl had ever slept in that spot

were completely non-existent…

I liked doing things like that in my youth

and truth be told I would love to do it again….

perhaps with company of a close friend…

can you imagine that….?

…. unseen from any road…

hundreds of miles from any trace of a modern world

no need for clothing

no need for anything except the company

of a warm blooded male

or female,

depending on who you are and where your preferences lay…

making love (or whatever you care to call it)

to the melody of the surging ocean


and the whisper of an untainted breeze….

…it's something I'd like to do before I shuffle off

this mortal world…

share a star lit night like that

in a place like that -

- with someone special….

sharonlee©

2011

No comments:

Post a Comment